The mission of the New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau (IB) is to detect, prevent, disrupt and investigate violent criminals and felonious criminal activity that undermines the safety and security of the citizens of New Mexico. Additionally, IB has the unique responsibility and authority to investigate, both criminally and administratively, all violations of the Liquor Control Act. IB is comprised of four specialized units which focus on their own particular areas of enforcement, but work together to achieve the common goals of State Police.
IB conducts numerous proactive activities including: directed impact operations, narcotic operations, warrant round-ups and in-depth investigations to identify and disrupt criminal activity. These proactive activities focus specifically on quality of life issues and increasing a sense of safeness within New Mexico communities.
IB agents statewide are committed to conducting thorough investigations of alleged sex offenses, violent crimes, child abuse, white collar crimes and other violations of state law.
State Police Narcotics focuses on the investigation of alleged violations of the Controlled Substance Act of the State of New Mexico and of the United States. They conduct these investigations throughout the state in an effort to improve the quality of life in rural New Mexico. Narcotics agents regularly work with both federal and local law enforcement to successfully complete these investigations.
Criminal Enforcement Unit – The State Police Criminal Enforcement Unit consists of K-9 officers stationed throughout the state. The primary mission of these officers is to safeguard the motoring public through aggressive traffic enforcement, while also attempting to interdict any criminal elements utilizing the highways of New Mexico to further their criminal activities. These officers and their K-9 partners are also available to assist other law enforcement agencies throughout the state.
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is a major contributor in the state’s effort to reduce DWI, alcohol-related crashes, underage drinking and over-service of alcohol. In addition to criminal enforcement, SIU agents have statutory authority to issue administrative citations to liquor licensees and servers. This exclusive authority to take administrative action renders SIU the principal unit for enforcement of the Liquor Control Act.
The unit performs a wide range of enforcement and regulatory activities statewide, to include:
- Compliance Operations
- Alcohol sales to minors
- Tobacco sales to minors
- Underage Enforcement Operations
- Source Investigations
- Investigations into the illegal sales of alcohol to intoxicated persons
- Premise inspections at licensed liquor establishments
- Financial investigations
- Undercover operations
- Training of city and county police officers, community groups and industry employees
Provides expert technical assistance to all divisions of the New Mexico State Police and other law enforcement agencies as needed, in the areas of crime scene processing, cold case homicide review/investigations and investigative analytical support.
- Cold Case Homicide Unit- The New Mexico State Police Cold Case Homicide Unit is responsible for investigating all unresolved homicide cases investigated by the New Mexico State Police. A case is considered to be cold when all investigative leads have been exhausted. If you have any information that would be of assistance in any of our Cold Case investigations, please telephone us at (505) 827-9066, by email at: Coldcase.Homicideunit@state.nm.us or submit a tip through our online tip form.
- Crime Scene Team- Crime Scene Team conducts a systematic search of the crime scene; detailed observations and documentation of the scene; ; the identification, processing and collection of physical evidence through the use of photography and sketching of the scene; Collection of physical evidence such as fingerprints, hair, fibers, biological fluids, and materials for DNA analysis and comparison; completes a comprehensive reconstruction from the evidence collected; provide expert analysis in firearms trajectory and most importantly provide in depth, unbiased testimony at trial.
- Analytical Unit- The NMSP Analytical Unit provides analytical expertise by working criminal investigations with investigators and officers of all divisions within NMDPS/NMSP, as well as other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to aid in the identification, arrest, prosecution, and conviction of criminal suspects. For assistance, contact: Danette M. Brown, Investigator Supervisor at (505) 841-9291 or email@example.com
The use of narcotic detecting canines by NMSP started in 1970. Since then, drug sniffing dogs have been involved in some of the largest narcotic seizures in New Mexico’s history. The NMSP continues to use man’s-best-friend as a unique and effective tool in the war on illegal drugs.
In December of 2000, the NMSP enlisted several members of the Narcotics Bureau to create a Clandestine Lab Team. In addition to investigating suspected illegal drug labs, the team teaches safety and awareness classes throughout the state. During the early days, team members recognized that investigating and arresting persons involved in illegal drug manufacturing, often meant discovering at risk children exposed to the drug lab environment. In 2004, the Department of Public Safety, and NMSP, fought to protect children found at the labs and created tougher laws regarding the purchase of drug precursors.
CRIME SCENE UNIT
The Crime Scene Team was formed in 1999, and is a full time unit. The CST members process and reconstruct crime scenes for the New Mexico State Police, as well as for other municipal, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. In addition to general crime scene investigation, members specialize in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, in Trajectory Analysis, in the use of High Definition Survey Equipment to map scenes, and in Crime Scene Analysis/Crime Scene Reconstruction. Members of the team have been qualified as experts in various aspects of crime scene investigation, in courts of various jurisdictions in New Mexico, as well as in other states around the country, and in federal court.
|North Criminal Investigations||CPT||Clay||Goret|
|Zones 1 & 2 & Cold Case||LT||Matthew||Martinez|
|South Criminal Investigations||CPT||Randy||Larcher|
|Narcotics/Auto Theft/Criminal Enforcement Units||CPT||Lorenzo||Aguirre|
|Criminal Enforcement Unit||LT||Arsenio||Chavez|
|Auto Theft Unit||LT||Frank||Chavez|
|Technical Unit (Fusion Center, Intelligence)||LT||Richard||Mathews|
|Technical Unit (Crash Recon, Crime Scene, Evidence, Computer Crimes)||LT||Lauren||Milligan|
|Special Investigations Unit||CPT||Patrick||Bucksath|